• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 mattyboy

mattyboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:49 PM

The AV app.is the thing CAUSING the problem?

#17 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:51 PM

try the repair matt. if that doesn't quite fix it, a reinstall is the best bet. i just spent 3 hours on a friends system with similar probs. so many trojans, adware, etc, i had to finaly give up, pull their drive, pull pictures and docs they wanted to save, and reinstall... :)

#18 mattyboy

mattyboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:53 PM

repair didnt work, it just asked for the admin. password at the command prompt once it got that far then just kept giving me the C:/windows, line in DOS.

#19 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:48 PM

View Postmattyboy, on Oct 22 2006, 12:53 PM, said:

repair didnt work, it just asked for the admin. password at the command prompt once it got that far then just kept giving me the C:/windows, line in DOS.
you need to hit enter at that point, unless your dad had used a password at/after install...check out the options. . you might want to get some info on line re: commands at this point.

#20 godless

godless

GTA 4 is a ps2 relic with better graphics...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:08 PM

I used to press CTRL+ALT+DEL and then go into task manager, and select file, new task (run), then type into whatever the main drive is so run c:\, this would usually reset everything, and bring up the toolbar

#21 mattyboy

mattyboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:19 AM

Thanks guys, I said "the hell with it" and reinstalled windows.
Again thanks for the help. I learn a bunch from all yer posts.

#22 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 03:30 AM

i think in this case it is for the best, matt :talker: nothing like a fresh install :)

#23 simon

simon

simon says Post

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:35 AM

I would have to argee w/ MO I would have slaved it to another computer got the info that was needed and reinstalled a new copy of xp
and I would install some safe gaurd s tooo

#24 mattyboy

mattyboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:52 AM

Like what??

#25 LoneWolfMage

LoneWolfMage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 04:43 PM

Greetings All~

I know this problem has been fixed and im a little late with a possible easy solution to the problem ( damn real life :gsg9: ) BUT i fiured if anyone has a similar problem in the future this may be of help ...

Kellys Corner Taskbar Repair Tool Plus

her main site Kellys Korner has a lot of informaation and scripts that can be used to help sole ALOT of problems and goot for Any puter techs "bag of tricks" .

and To Mattyboy ~

In regards to "safeguards" that Simon is refering to . There are lot of worthwile programs out and about that are FREE to download and use ...many experinced techs will perfer one or more of them over others. Alot of it depnds on your knowledge and system use .

Some are fairly straightforward in operation while others take a bit of "tweaking" work correctly and efficiantly while others are more for the "seasoned" computer user.

if youwould like suggestionsas to what to find and use .. just fire way questions along with your level of "knowlege" and im certain you will come up with mahy suggestions as to what programs are available :talker:

Of course with ALL programs Your mileage may vary dependinig on different factors.

LoneWolf

#26 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:24 PM

View Postmattyboy, on Oct 23 2006, 03:52 AM, said:

Like what??
well, spybot search and destroy (with "tea timer" running for IE), adaware pro with real time scanning, making his account have lesser privileges (a good one!), and a purchased AV program that is set to kill everything :talker:

#27 mattyboy

mattyboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:46 PM

Oh I see yeah I use all those on a semi-regular basis. Its my fathers PC right, but for the life of me I can not get him to just use AVG (free). He insists on using Norton System works 2002. LOL I swear. Its crazy.

#28 godless

godless

GTA 4 is a ps2 relic with better graphics...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:11 PM

View Postmattyboy, on Oct 23 2006, 05:46 PM, said:

Oh I see yeah I use all those on a semi-regular basis. Its my fathers PC right, but for the life of me I can not get him to just use AVG (free). He insists on using Norton System works 2002. LOL I swear. Its crazy.

My ISP company provides the full Norton suite for free for security (worth like $120 Canadian), so even big internet companies provide useless software (probably because most people think its good..)

#29 mattyboy

mattyboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:48 PM

Symantec gets contracts with all kinds of different companies. Its that large market share and advertising that promotes the stuff. Not that fact that it works, which it doesn't.
Well thats a little harsh, it does work. Its a functioning AV, but it just sucks.

#30 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:58 AM

Actually you did what fixes the problem, a reload. I have a laptop in the shop doing the exact same thing you described, running a repair, not like you tried from the recovery console but a full OS repair which after completely going through ended back in the same exact place ended up being reloaded. I did some research and it seems there has been no luck finding a solution as of yet to this exact issue. Normally a repair does work, this is a much less frequent issue which it doesn't fix. I also looked at all running services and all startup items and disabled everything non os from startup, it isn't something loaded that stops the booting. To get access you use as mentioned before control+shift+escape and then from file choose new task or run and type msconfig for startup, services.msc for the list of services, in case someone else wants to or needs to know someday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users